Municipal and industrial waste are a consequence of generation procedures on HEP’s locations. According to its characteristics waste is divided into: inert, non-hazardous and hazardous waste.
HEP keeps records of amounts and types of industrial waste at the locations of its emergence, and once a year it reports to the Croatian Environment Agency (HAOP) about it, by means of an online database
In order to simplify keeping records about the place and emergence of waste, cost planning, investment in the inert system of waste management and prompt reporting, HEP keeps its own online database INFOZOK (Information System of Environment Protection).
As part of the Information System of Environment Protection, HEP keeps records of removing and changing equipment containing polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB). The equipment containing PCB was present in the plants of HEP-Operator distribucijskog sustava
d.o.o. By 1 January 2015, in line with the plan of stopping its use, all the equipment containing PCB was removed and exported in accordance with the legal regulations which govern waste management.
Selling waste to authorized companies
Waste which is a result of generation procedures on HEP’s locations is delivered to authorized companies with the Ministry’s permit.
Before it is delivered to authorized companies, the waste is stored in temporary waste storages, which are constructed according to legal regulations. All HEP’s temporary waste storages, in which there is more than 200 kg of hazardous and 150 tonnes of non-hazardous waste stored, are registered in the Register of persons who store own industrial waste, which is kept by the Ministry of Environment and Nature Protection.
HEP delivers generated mixed, but not separated, municipal waste to municipal companies.
Types of fees paid by producers/owners of waste to the Fund for environment protection and energy efficiency are described in the section about fees.
Waste which is a result of conducting business procedures on HEP’s locations is submitted to authorized companies for waste management. The list of authorized companies, which have a waste management permit is on the website of the Croatian Environment Agency (HAOP), and the list of authorized companies in the registers is on the website of the Ministry of Environmental and Nature Protection
Landfill TPP Plomin
On the location of TPP Plomin is HEP’s only landfill site, internal landfill site of non-hazardous waste.
Only own waste, which is the consequence of electricity generation from coal, is being disposed on the internal landfill site of non-hazardous waste. This includes:
- Ashes from the boiler grid, deposit and dust from the boiler (slag)
- Floating ashes from boiler combustion
- Calcium-based solid reaction waste, which is a result of desulphurization of flue gases (plaster stone)
- Calcium-based sludge reaction waste, which is a result of desulphurization of flue gases
- Sludge from the remaining processing of waste water
The waste that emerges in thermal power plants Plomin is managed in line with the order of priority in waste management
- Floating ashes, plaster and slag used in the factory of cement, Holcim, in Koromačno as mineral additives in the process of generation of mixed Portland cements.
- Floating ashes, slag and plaster are disposed of at the landfill site of non-hazardous waste around of thermal power plants Plomin, when the factory of cement, Holcim cannot take over because of the decrease of generation, overhaul or failure.
- The whole amount of calcium-based sludge reaction waste, which is a result of desulphurization of fuel gases as well as sludge from the remaining processing of waste water are disposed of at the internal landfill of non-hazardous waste around the thermal power plants Plomin, because there is no interest for it on the market.
In 2000 Plomin lanfdill site of non-hazardous waste obtained construction permit, which was issued on the basis of conducted recovery of the landfill site and it has the permit of conducting the activity of waste disposal on the landfill site of non-hazardous waste issued by the Board of Directors for sustainable development of the County of Istria.